The cold weather isn’t slowing us down. Our productivity continues on the new home construction as the siding was completed this week.
Once the exterior walls are built and installed, the house is covered with Tyvek, or house wrap. House wrap prevents outside water from entering the walls and helps seal the home and keep outside air from coming into the house. Once the house wrap is attached to the house, window flashing tape is applied around all window and door frames to seal out water and eliminate drafts. Then, vinyl siding can be installed.
Vinyl siding is a plastic exterior siding for a house and used for decoration and weatherproofing. Vinyl is used instead of other materials, like aluminum or fiber cement. It is an engineered product manufactured primarily from polyvinyl chloride (PVC) resin.
Approximately 80 percent of vinyl siding’s weight is PVC resin, with the remaining 20 percent being ingredients that impart color, opacity, gloss, impact resistance, flexibility and durability. Vinyl is the most commonly installed exterior cladding for residential construction in the United States and Canada.
Vinyl siding was introduced in the late 1950’s as a replacement for aluminum siding. It was first produced by an independently owned manufacturing plant, Crane Plastics in Columbus, OH. The process was originally done through mono-extrusion and the blending of colors was done manually. This process made it difficult to produce and install a consistent, quality product.
Beginning in the late 1970’s, the industry changed its formulation to improve the product’s production speed, impact resistance and range of colors. In the following decade, vinyl siding grew in popularity in large part due to its durability, versatility and ease of maintenance.
Today, vinyl siding is manufactured by coextrusion. Two layers of PVC are laid down in a continuous extrusion process. The top layer is weatherable capstock, which comprises about a third of the siding thickness. The capstock includes about 10% titanium dioxide, which is a pigment and provides resistance to breakdown from UV light. The lower layer, known as substrate, is typically about 15% ground limestone (which is largely calcium carbonate). The limestone reduces cost, and also balances the titanium dioxide, keeping both extrusion streams equally fluid during manufacturing.
For this new home construction project, we used 4.5” Dutch Lap Profile Vinyl in Pebblestone Clay by Mastic Home Exteriors. Whether you are remodeling your home or building a new home, you can eliminate painting your home forever.
Keep checking back for the latest updates on this new home. The wells for the geo thermal system will be dug and insulation should be installed soon.